Thursday, September 8, 2011

Where the Wilcats Are: Quidam

Quidam is the 9th production of Cirque du Soleil (created in 1996) and is currently playing in Boston.  I was lucky enough to be invited to experience Quidam by my lovely roommate JG.

Have you been to a Cirque show before?  I was a virgin, but having done a case study on the Canadian circus arts before, I sorta kinda maybe knew to expect mind blowing, gravity defying, nail biting talent...with a plot weaving it all together. In this particular production, Quidam is imagined by a bored young girl named Zoé who is ignored by her parents. It is an escape.

The show's title refers to the feature character, a creepy big headless horseman.  Only...there is no horse, instead the decapitated fellow dons an umbrella and bowler hat.  According to the ever accurate and reliable wikipedia: Quidam is said to be the embodiment of both everyone and no one at the same time. According to Cirque du Soleil literature "Quidam: a nameless passer-by, a solitary figure lingering on a street corner, a person rushing past. ... One who cries out, sings and dreams within us all."

Deeeeeeep.  Right?  Sounds a touch depressing, but unless you speak french, you'll probably miss most of the message and just be awe struck by the stunts.  That is what happened to me and JG at least.

Here are some pics to make you feel like you were there.

These guys were my favorite.  I could think of only two things while watching them.  1: Elphalba's song "defying gravity" from the musical Wicked.  You can listen to it here.  And 2:  I should GTL more.  
Especially the Gym. 


Mind boggling. 

Who comes up with this stuff?  
Like, who decides it would be neat to make a human hamster wheel that turns on its side?  


These lashes are not from the show.  But I want them. 

1 comment:

  1. Are those the lashes we're doing for your future wedding? ;) I kid, I kid! Cool pictures! And definitely agree with the G in GTL! WOW!

    ReplyDelete