Thursday, February 17, 2011

GTL Thursdays: Send Snooki Roses. Roses with Pickles. Fried Pickles.

Snooki loves pickles. Always has. Who can blame her? They are a wonderful snack.

Last season, on her trip down to Miami, she stopped in Savannah with Jwoww and tried Fried Pickles. She said of the experience:

Fried pickles. This puts pickles on a whole 'nother level. It’s like a sliced pickle, but it was fried. It was crunchy, but it was juicy. Eating fried pickles was a life-changing experience.

You may or may not know this about me, but I consider myself a connoisseur of fried pickles. My favorite recipe and preparation of dilled cucumber fritters can be found at a little North Cambridge dive known as Joe Sent Me.




I like Joe's version because they are cooked to a crispy brown perfection. The batter has a little kick in it, and the pickle is never slimy. They serve it with ranch dressing for dipping and it is a spot on complement. In order to achieve a perfect bite, I really recommend eating them with a fork and knife.

I have tried to make them at home several times, but alas, without a deep fry device, I fail. Epically. Each time.

You can learn about other locales that offer this fried delight here.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you and Snooks. I love (dill pickles, the sweet or butter ones are VILE!) pickles, and I especially love fried pickles. With one exception, I don't enjoy dipping them into ranch. I know, I know take me out back and shoot me, but I think it tastes sour. I guess I'm a purist, I eat them all natural.

    You and Kate should come to the Bloomsburg Fair this fall. Tons of fried pickles (and other fried varieties) it's the only thing redeeming about my hometown. Give it a Google :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. give yourself some credit...hahaha that time we used bud light it was real close to the real thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate--I feel a roadtrip to Bloomsburg coming on.

    @Kelly--true, but the batter all fell off, memba?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally in on the road trip. I'll start making the mix.

    I started a fire in my kitchen trying to make fried pickles. It wasn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete