Monday, February 14, 2011

She ain't a rockstar, but she got groupies

I had intentions of live blogging last night's Grammy awards, but I accidently took a nap at 5pm and didn't wake up til 10:30 -- therein missing most of the show and messing up my sleep schedule for the rest of the night. Oh well! I do have a best and worst dressed list for you all this morning. The Grammy's are a tough award show for fashion, as ridiculous and rocker tends to be more in vogue than elegance and editing. Even within the confines of the show, these six ladies hit the nail on it's head with their rock star glamour.

(1) JLo seems to be on a mission to simultaneously promote her new role as an American Idol judge and also remind the world that she's hot as shit. I'm a huge fan of long sleeves on a short dress if you've have the legs to pull it off -- Ms. Lopez has proved that she's still got it. Although, it has to be said, the dynamic between her and Mark Anthony is so awkward it's hard to watch. (2) I'm not really sure who Selena Gomez is or why she was at the Grammy's but I thought she looked great. All over shine is really hard to wear (see: Heidi Klum), and she wears it well. (3) Honestly, had it not been for Kate Hudson's horrible blue thing that looked held together with masking tape, I probably wouldn't have noticed Selma Blair handling her pregnancy in this casual and pretty way. (4+5) Apparently the Glee cast got the memo about how to pull off rock star and glamourous at the same time. Dianna and Jenna both look totally age-appropriate and totally fantastic in their LBDs. (6) I also don't know who Julianne Hough is, except that US Weekly tells me that she's the reason Ryan Seacrest is not gay, but I really like that she proved that it doesn't have to be super-short or in a neutral to work at the Grammy's.

And now on to the worst...
(1) Rihanna is so beautiful, and sometimes her wacky fashion sense totally plays into that beauty -- for example, I thought that she looked totally awesome in her performance with Eminem and Adam Levine.  The burning dress with the burning stage was dramatic and over-the-top in a great way. This, on the other hand is not. I feel like she's trying to be a sexy-Santa Clause-slinky or something. And, while we're dancing around the subject, how awesome was their performance? I thought Eminem looked focused and energized, if a little angry (I love the angry), Rihanna sounded great and Adam Levine really filled out the bottom of the hook, which can get a little whiney. Plus, I'm so glad that Dr. Dre is back. And I love that I Need A Doctor is essentially a love song between him and Eminem -- Happy Valentine's Day to all! (2)Well she sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina, She's a sticky-fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize, She'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China, Tell me where in the world is Lady Gaga? (3) This is like the Queen of Hearts and Snooki got together and had a baby. (4) It takes a lot to make Heidi Klum look bad, but here it is! This gold monstrosity clings in all the wrong places, and the cut out shoulders (one of my fashion pet peeves) and horrible hair are just icing on the bad taste cake.  (5) Wonder Woman decides to embrace her Shabby Chic side. (6) Is it just me, or is there actually nothing sexy about Gwyneth's pants suit? She looks shapeless and blah, and like she let Apple pick out her earrings.

Those are my picks. Tell me, who did I miss and who did I misjudge?

xo kate

No comments:

Post a Comment