Wednesday, February 2, 2011

You tell that wildcat behind the wheel not to slow down.

She may have recently had "the most talked about bangs since Charlie Sheen's bedroom", but to me she's a longtime member of the pack.

My love affair with Sandra began in 1994 when she co-starred with Keanu in Speed.

Everytime I tell someone that this is one of my favorite films of all time, they scoff. Or laugh. Or scrunch their face up with disbelief. In short they judge my taste in cinema. What they don't know is that I'm judging them right back. How can you not love this film? Seriously. It has everything you need: suspence, stunts, sexual tension, planes, trains, automobiles, buses, tragic heroes, and things that blow up. And of course, Sandra Bollock driving a bus and dropping sarcastic yet sweet one-liners, all while wearing an Arizona Wildcat zip-up hoodie. I've seen it 502 times, and each time is like the first time.


In 1995, Sandra ditched the hoodie and instead donned frumpy sweaters and long trench coats as she took on the role of a lonely Chicago railroad clerk in While You Were Sleeping. This movie is so great because the supporting cast is so great. The holiday dinner scene where the family is fighting and the grandma keeps commenting on the mash potatos? I've seen it a few times. And when I say "few", I actually mean 107.


Remember the post-makeover moment in Miss Congeniality when Sandra (aka tomboy cop Gracie Hart) emerged from the make-shift salon in that hot blue dress, all full of swagger and sass, to the tune of Mustang Sally? And then she completely stumbles and completely eats it? Yup. I love it too. So much that I've seen it 17 times. No big deal.


In 2009, Sandra starred in the two most financially successful films of her career. The first is The Proposal--a movie that not only co-starred the ever-lovely and always funny Betty White, but also matched her with her current real-life beau, Ryan Reynolds. As expected, Sandra was delightful and Ryan was hot. My only complaint with this film is that there is not enough making out. I've seen the movie a mere 3 times, and each time I'm hoping there is magically going to be more making out than the last.



I've only seen The Blind Side once, but it was enough to understand why Sandra won the Academy Award, the Golden Globe, and the SAG. She made me cry. 4 times in 1 viewing.


Obviously, what I love most about Sandra Bullock is that most of her films are instant classics, and you want to watch these movies over and over and over. (As I clearly have.) It also lends her a certain longevity as a star--and I appreciate longevity in a pack member.

What are your favorite movies to watch over and over?

2 comments:

  1. D, I can't believe that you left out the wonder that is Forces of Nature...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree! 100 % I adore Sandra Bullock, and your she may have recently had 'the most talked about bangs since Charlie Sheen's bedroom' line made me LOL-literally.

    Favorite movies to watch over and over? Knocked Up (seriously E? Again? OK I'll watch. Again.), anything with Vince Vaughn (my husband), What Lies Beneath (I think it's the awesome house), JAWS, Thomas Crown Affair, Step Brothers, Breakfast at Tiffany's. The list goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete