Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"The theme of the Egg Hunt is "learning is delightful and delicious" - as, by the way, am I." - CJ Cregg

Every time I see a White House press conference I think
about how much better it would be if CJ was running it.
Allison Janney is one of the best character actresses in Hollywood today.  She can literally play anything.  From American Beauty to Strangers with Candy, from 9-to-5 to The Hours, from TV to film to stage and voiceover, she's one of the most versatile actresses in Hollywood.  Allison can be the star of the show or a supporting character in one scene and she will always, always. always bring it.

Ms. Janney can also play any kind of funny.  She's hilarious as the trashy mother to Ellen Page's Juno.  She steals the show as the odd-ball Ms. Perky in 10 Things I Hate About You. Her disillusioned mother who maybe hates her kids cracks me up in Away We Go, And, most famously, she's the witty, biting, endearing and painfully bright Press Secretary CJ Cregg on The West Wing.  I can't even describe to you how great this show and this character are.  Over the course of the show's seven years, CJ is the daughter, the mother, the friend, the protector, the agitator and the conscience of the show's male characters.  She is one of the only women in a man's world and plays her role with nuance, humor and grace.  I know she's a fictional character, but she's kind of my idol.  And she's really, really funny.

It's hard to pick a scene from The West Wing because most of them don't really make sense out of the context of the show and the characters, but I think this one works even if you haven't seen an episode.  This is classic West Wing and classic CJ.



xo kate

2 comments:

  1. I never watched the West Wing, but I know this is a mistake. I would love it.

    I love Allison Janney. Whatever she touches is gold. In addition to the the examples you mentioned, she was in the Kirsten Dunst Beauty Pagent movie, as well as LOST. Both further examples of her breadth and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that was a great clip, and I too am freaked out by the Northern Hemisphere on the bottom of the map. It's just wrong. I only watched the West Wing occasionally, but Allison was my favorite. She is fantastic in everything, loved her in Juno.

    ReplyDelete