Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Riddle me this: Katy Perry's Popularity?

Ever since the release of Teenage Dream, I don't like her. I don't like her music anymore. I don't get her style. I think her image is contrived. I think her songs are convoluted. I think Katy Perry went from being a cool new artist who like cherry chapstick, to a fake with frosting covered boobies.

In fact, the only Katy Perry attributes I find redeemable are a) husband, Russell Brand b) her cracky/shatter nail polish stuff and c) Glee-cast covers of her song.

Am I alone in this?

Am I missing something?

I must be.

Cause her songs continue to rise on the charts. She performed at the Grammys. And she's even on the cover of Elle this month.

I just don't get it.

Let's take the Fireworks song. The chorus is admittedly catchy, but the verse lyrics ruin it for me. Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?


Is this a joke? Has somebody been watching American Beauty on HBO?

No, Katy, I don't ever feel like a plastic bag. But riddle me this: do you ever feel like pulling a Tanya Harding on Lady Gaga so that you can rise to the top and claim all the disenfranchised youths as your fans? Yea, I bet you do.

Well, you clearly now know how I feel. And I know Neil feels the same way. My sister shares in my confusion. In fact, this is what we looked like when one of my good friends told me she loved California Gurls and thought it was just the best summer jam. Come again?


But now I really really want to know what you guys think.

(1) Do you like Katy Perry? Her songs? Her cupcake ta-tahs?
(1b) If so, what am I missing? Do I need to give her another chance like I did with Kesha? (Tik tok gave me a headache, but We R Who We Are has caused me to dance in elevators.)

Or like me,

(2) Are you confused by her growing popularity? Does Teenage Dream make you want to stab yourself in the jaw?

I love to be right. And I love when people agree with me (don't look at me like that, you know you love it too). But I also can admit when I'm wrong. And I'm all for second and third chances. So tell me, does Katy Perry deserve one?

Tell me the truth. I can handle it.

10 comments:

  1. Having trouble commening? Sign up for an account at Gravatar to get a universal-blog-commenting-avatar thingamibob.

    I think it took about 10 minutes: www.gravatar.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lovelovelove the glee version of teenage dream. it's one of thousand reason that boston is saving glee. i might expand this theory into a full post at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always hated Katy Perry. She is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Katy Perry's pop stardom has always baffled me. Somedays I feel "she's harmless. popstars are supposed to be fun," and other days I think "why are you dancing around awkwardly in sparkly fruit ensembles? please stop now." Whether she is singing about kissing girls, or spraying whipped scream from her chest (uh, really?!), I could do without the desperate sense of "look at me! I am really edgy!" which makes her...just not.

    -Lauren Haks, not anonymous / poor at starting accounts

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Haks...I couldn't agree more. Nothing is lamer than faux edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I just wrote a whole long response and then the webpage timed out and it disapeared on me. I'm going to keep this one short in case it happens again. I think she's pretty. (minus the cupcakes) A lot of people think she is not. It's the Lady Gaga effect. People keep going back cus they can't figure out what they are missing. Why does everyone think she is pretty, and I don't? Or why does everyone think she ugly and I don't? It has very little to do with her music cus I'm pretty sure we can all agree she has no talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty face, ugly outfits, whatevs songs. in sum, she's meh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As per usual I agree with you Danielle. I don't see the appeal. I liked her music when she was innovative and edgy, the pop overkill leaves me cold. Now I don't like her on principle because my boyfriend fell for her cupcake ta ta's.

    I also thought of American Beauty at her craptastic lyrics. Russell Brand is pretty fantastic though, definitely a redeeming point, as well as GLEE covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Her music isn't really poison to my ears but her fashion is like poison in my eye's. Yes her lyrics r a little weird but the worst has to be seeing her in a perfume bottle shape dress, and that grammy dress, what was that....Honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Icon. (But no Britney)
    S.

    ReplyDelete