Monday, February 28, 2011

We are dressed in our best and prepared to go down with the ship.

Since Kate and Leo didn't show to the awards someone had to hold it down for Titanic references, right?  No? So Titanic references aren't cool?  Well, they always will be to me.

Anyway, as I mentioned last night, I was totally underwhelmed with Oscar fashion this year.  I thought that it was a huge disappointment, with neutral and boring ruling "Hollywood's biggest night."  Even my red carpet winners didn't blow me out of the water. Although these five ladies (six dresses) did better than anyone else, it's sort of like when the Red Sox beat college teams in spring training -- it's hard to feel good about a win when the competition is so weak.
(1) Hailee Steinfeld looks great.  In general, I think that tea length dresses are unflattering on everyone, but she is managing to pull it off here.  She looks age-appropriate and glamourous and finally has a purse that matches.  I could do with a different hairstyle (or maybe just without the headband?) but who didn't wear a bad up-do to their first big dance?  (2) Penelope Cruz had a baby one month ago.  One month!  She has some serious post-baby boobs in this dress but I think she looks smokin'.  This red is the perfect color on her and has some va-va-voom sparkle.  (3) Mila Kunis looks super angry in this picture -- I'm thinking that maybe she just got a nasty text message from Jessica Biel?  Or she's missing Macalay?  Either way, I love this color on her and love the neckline.  I'm really impressed it stayed put all night -- way to keep it classy, Kunis.  (4&5) Anne Hathaway looked fantastic all night, but these were two of my  favorites -- young, fun and not trying too hard.  Her hair also looked great.  (6) Okay, I'm totally bias because I love Natalie, but I think she's glowing -- the color is perfect, the drap is flattering, the neckline packs some sparkle.  Love it.

As always, we have some ladies who didn't do as well.  Generally speaking, there weren't any complete disasters -- everyone wore matching shoes -- but these six women didn't do themselves any favors.
(1) Is it just me, or does Cate Blanchett seem like she should be sitting for one of those old-time photos as an amusement park?  Or at least displaying one on her chest.  (2) Halle Berry is amongst the most beautiful people on the planet.  And this seems like it was a beautiful dress, until all the tulle got stapled on.  (3) Melissa Leo's dress doesn't actually photograph as bad as it was.  It looked like tinsel overlayed with a doily. (4) I get that Marisa Tomei's dress was vintage, but they could have at least found a top and bottom that matched, right?  (5) Florence (in my head I think "And the Machine" is her last name, but I'm pretty sure that's not right) looks like she should be guest starring on Big Love, not performing at the Oscars. (6) When did Mandy Moore get so old?  This dress seriously washes her out and the hair and make up makes her look like she should be singing in the nursing home. To quote Barry Manilow, Oh, Mandy...

This concludes my Oscar coverage.  Wildcats, thanks for sticking with me. Ladies of Hollywood, I hope you can do better next year.

xo kate

1 comment:

  1. I loved Cate Blanchett's dress! It was very her, she's like Diane Kruger in that way. European women are so lucky in that regard, that and awesome accents. I loved all of Anne's looks for the evening, and I thought Natalie looked beautiful. I really liked Gwyneth and Jennifer Lawrence, they were my favorites of the evening.

    Mandy Moore's makeup was horrendous, agreed!

    ReplyDelete