Monday, February 28, 2011

Where have all the movie stars gone?

Is it just me, or did this year's Oscar's seem to have a serious dearth of major movie stars?  Where was Leo? Where were Matt and Ben? Brangelina? JLo? Julia Roberts?  Tom and Katie? Where was the drama?  I don't know what else was happening tonight but it seemed to me like a lot of Oscar classics were missing this year.  Maybe they got an advanced copy of the script or something and decided to skip out?
As Jessica Biel cries into her pint of
Ben and Jerry's...


Not a bad decision, since I thought this year's ceremony was a snore-fest.  Fashion-wise I was completely underwhelmed, the winners were all predicted weeks ago, and the show itself was a total bore.  I wasn't at all surprised that James Franco seemed the entire time like he needed a strong drink.  I know I did.  But probably not as badly as Jessica Biel, who was also watching from her couch, seething, as her "boyfriend" Justin Timberlake presented an award with his Friends with Benefits costar, Mila Kunis, who, rumor has it, he's been chasing for months.


With Jeremy Renner and Amy Adams nominated and Christian Bale and Melissa Leo both winning in the supporting categories, could this be the best Oscars ever for the Boston accent? Non-rhotic for the win! Although, I think Melissa Leo lost her three remaining supporters tonight, first by almost giving us a shot of her undies going up the stairs.  Then with her wildly annoying acceptance speech in which she tried so hard to be surprised and humble but ended up just looking like a crazy person.  But I guess she had already made it clear with her Consider Melissa Leo ads that she’s not really all about the subtlety.


Despite my overall boredom, I was thrilled with wins for two of my favorites, Ms. Natalie Portman and Aaron Sorkin.  I'm going to refrain from saying anything else about Natalie for fear that she'll take out a restraining order, but I will tell you why I love Aaron Sorkin.  Overall, the screenplay category hasn't been very exciting for me since Matt and Ben left the writing game until tonight.  The Social Network was a brilliantly written film.  Mr. Sorkin's dialogue is so beautiful, rich, real and exciting that I'm in constant awe of his genius.  And totally willing to overlook his coke problem.  He writes in the way I wish that I could speak.  I want my mind to work like his does.  Or at least have him script my life so that I'm always smart, sharp and witty.   His television classic The West Wing is one of the greatest shows ever made, and you can hear echoes of it throughout The Social Network, which I wish had won more awards tonight.
These ponytails are high and these ponytails are
fly.

Another winner I was pleased to see?  Ponytails.  This was the year for ponytails.  As a lover of the high pony, I was thrilled to see this fan favorite make it's way out of the locker room and onto the red carpet. Reese Witherspoon, Anne Hathaway and best makeup artist winner Rick Baker all rocked the look tonight.

Tune in from the rest of my fashion picks in the morning.  Goodnight, wildcats.


xo kate
 

2 comments:

  1. I think there is something to be said for the fact that Anne Hathaway seemed so over-the-moon the whole time about hanging out with movie stars that it made me feel like I have a pretty good shot at one day hosting the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, where were the stars?! Oh well, better luck next year?

    P.S. Loved Annie's Lanvin tux. Yeah, I call her Annie haha

    ReplyDelete