Friday, February 25, 2011

Best breakup song ever.

I was recently talking to a good friend of mine, Harry Sweet, about the merits of Frank Sinatra as an Italian icon and singer. During the course of the conversation, it became painfully obvious that I had little to contribute. Eeeek. What kind of Italian American am I?

While I love all members of the Rat Pack, (they are kinda like a wolfpack, right?) I didn't actually grow up on the musical stylings of Sinatra. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the only Sinatra song I remember hearing as a child was New York, New York--it was a favorite of my grandfather, Joe.


What can I say? Sinatra is not my primary go-to for classic Italian melodies.

For me, Toto Cutugno is the embodiment of Italian music. He's an amazing composer, lyricist, singer and guitarist. Any self-respecting Italo-Americano knows more than just the words to L'italiano; we know the strum of Cutugno's guitar, the natural rasp of his voice, the love of his country. The eyes full of melancholy. The spaghetti al dente. The pride. If modern Italy could have an anthem (the national one aside) it would be L'italiano.

But what really gets me, what really speaks to my heart, what reallllly gives me chills...is Solo Noi...which I argue is the best breakup song of all time.

I grew up singing the chorus to this song, but I didn't undersand the meaning until I was in I wrote a paper on Cutugno in college. As I translated each line of the imperfect past tense, I was blown away by the realization that Toto Cutugno got my romantic pain and angst. He totally got it.

This song is better than Alanis. Better than Love Stinks. Better than Its my Party and I'll cry if I want to. Better than Cry Me a River.

But don't take my word for it; check it out for yourself. The translation is right below the video.



And she would tell me, i am happy with you.
And she would tell me, you are everything to me me
If this isn't love, than tell me what it is

She would fall asleep in my arms
She would wake me with a kiss and a coffee
And then play in bed with me
If this isn't love, than you tell me what it is.

And then she would stay and talk about us.

Tell me that you want me
Just us, Just us
The breathing of us
Just us, Just us
Tell me that no man has made you tremble like you tremble with me
Just us, Just us
I'll give you the mountains--if you want them.
Just us, Just us
Green fields, if you want them.
Just us, Just us
Tell me that you cant stay alone a minute if your not with me

I hate the dawn when your not here
The night falls inside of me.
If this isn't pain you tell me what it is.
I think of you again, but your not here with me.

Just us, Just us
Tell me what love is.
Just us, Just us
My mind--where is it?
Just us, Just us
I hate these sheets that in time will lose the scent of you
Just us, Just us

The mountains--you dont want
Just us, Just us
Green fields--you dont want
Just us, Just us
You would tell me you cant stay a minute far away from me

Just us, Just us
My house--you dont want
Just us, Just us
Id sell everything, if you wanted
Just us, Just us
I hate these sheets that in time will lose the smell of you.

The man. knows. heartache.

What's your favorite break-up song? And what do you think of Toto's 1984 hair-do?

1 comment:

  1. hahaha it's...catchy! haha his hair is EPIC. I'm in love :) Favorite break up song...way too many too list but I love The Beatles "Ticket to Ride" and Oasis "Stop Crying Your Heart Out." I love my Brits.

    ReplyDelete