Wednesday, February 23, 2011

“When I was a child I had a crush on Abraham Lincoln. Why I would choose to reveal this, I know not.” — Julia Roberts

I saw this Julia Roberts quote on one of my favorite blogs, Smart, Pretty, and Awkward.

The pretty woman's confession got me thinking about strange childhood crushes of my own, and whether I'd be willing to admit them to you, wildcats. I guess I'm feeling brave and adventurous today, because here goes nothin...

When I was a child, I had a crush on John Rambo. Why I would choose to reveal this, I know not.


Honestly, I don't remember ever having seen a whole Rambo film in my life. As such, there is so much about Rambo I didn't (and still don't) know, including the important fact that his first name was John (I thought he was a one-name wonder like Madonna or Tiffany), as well as irony that he was part Navajo, part Italian...in short, someone that could truly appreciate my own brownness.

Not the point. I digress...

I must have seen some part of First Blood at some point, because I remember being very young, surrounded by Rainbow Bright wall paper, dreaming that I was Mrs. Rambo.

Yes...even at the tender age of 6, I knew I was attracted to muscle, grit, good hair, and guerrilla tactics.

Needless, to say, John Rambo's knife skills, ability to sew his own wounds, and day-by-day life mantra make him invaluable to this wolfpack; I think we can all agree that he really brings something to the table.

Now you fill in the blank. I promise not to judge you...too much. Who'd you have a random childhood crush on? Why?

4 comments:

  1. When I was a child, I had a crush on Billy Joel. Why I would choose to reveal this, I know not.

    I had the Storm Front album on cassette. I loved We Didn't Start The Fire. It apparently didn't occur to me that Billy Joel may very well be the least attractive person to marry a supermodel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate.... Seal is the least attractive person to marry a supermodel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, Rambo not sure if I can top that! I've always had a thing for older men and to that end, I had crushes growing up on Pierce Brosnan (007 and The Thomas Crown Affair need I say more?) and Sean Connery (Bond and Entrapment). Most teenage girls had teenage pop stars covering their walls, I had a GoldenEye poster. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But Seal had lupus -- Billy Joel is just not cute.

    ReplyDelete