Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"I'm not good at anything except writing jokes." - Mindy Kaling

Things I know about Mindy Kaling that I love:

"Oh my God I have so much to tell you!  Tom Cruise and
Katie Holmes, they had a baby and they named it Suri,
and then Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, they had a baby,
too, and they named it Shiloh. And both babies are amazing!" 
(1) Kelly Kapoor is hi-lar-ious.  One of my all time time favorite moments on The Office is when she tells Ryan she's pregnant and the shot cuts to her shaking her head.  Or the one when Ryan, who's at that point the new boss, asks if anyone has any questions and she says, "Yeah, I have a lot of questions.  Number one: how dare you?"  Seriously, I'm giggling to myself just typing it.  I really wish it was on YouTube. Damn you, ComcastNBCUniversalGeneralElectric.

(2) She went to Dartmouth.  And I may or may not be (but definitely am) going to Dartmouth reunion this year in the hopes of meeting her.  Also, a little bit to see my friends.  But a lot to meet Mindy Kaling.

(3) The talented Ms. Kaling, writing under the name Mindy Ephron -- in a nod to the immeasurable Nora Ephron (Wellesley '62) -- used to write an awesome blog called Things I've Bought That I Love.  She stopped writing it about three years ago, but I loved it.  Generally stars writing about all the fancy things they buy with their money would piss me off, but Mindy did it in a way that was not annoying and endearing.  It was funny and totally ridiculous, but she knew that, totally owned it, and posted all the emails her friends wrote her about being frivolous.  I feel like it was her nobody-puts-Baby-in-a-corner moment.

Daryl Philbin is the most complicated man that I have ever met.
I mean, who says exactly what they're thinking? What kind of game is that? 
(4) Since she no longer writes on Things I've Bought That I Love, her Twitter is one of the seven people I follow, six of whom I don't care about.  Seriously, most of the time I don't even sign in -- I just going to twitter.com/mindykaling.

(5) I think that Mindy is the best writer on The Office, as evidenced by the fact that she wrote so many of my favorite episodes, including: The Dundies (the first Dundies awards); The Injury (Michael burns his foot on the George Foreman grill); Ben Franklin (this is the one where they hire the strippers for Phyllis and Bob Vance's bachelorette and bachelor parties but instead of a male stripper they get a Ben Franklin impersonator); Niagara (Jim and Pam's wedding); and Michael's Last Dundies (obvious, right?).

All of this is to say that she's smart, she's funny and I'm fairly certain we'd be best friends if we ever met.  Which we will, since I too am smart, funny and also kind of creepy.

xo kate

1 comment:

  1. She is fantastic! I love following her on Twitter too. I'll have to check out this old blog she used to write...

    ReplyDelete