Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On my house, on my job, on my loot, my shoes, my shirt, my crew, my mind, my father's last name

Yet another early-ninties TV star's birthday has come and gone without proper acknowledgement from me.  Apparently you cannot count on me for timely recognition of these monumental events.  Hopefully what I lack in punctuality I make up for in enthusiasm.

Canadian masterpiece, Mr. Alan Thicke -- better known as Dr. Jason Seaver, patiarch of the Growing Pains clan -- turned 64 yesterday.  I wish that I could sing you my version of the Growing Pains theme song, because it's pretty moving, but it's really an opus to be experienced live. Plus, my duet partner isn't here and without him, I can't really do it justice.  For now, relive the magic with this:
This legend is not only a sitcom star, singer/song-writer and game show host and star of the greatest TV theme song of all time, he is also the father of four of my favorite people.

First, of course, Alan's son, Robin Thicke, is obviously a hugely talented R&B singer whose songs are so sexy they should be illegal. Robin collaborated with Leighton Meester (Blair Waldorf) and had his song covered by crazy-talented Darren Criss on Glee this season, so he's pretty much a TV star as well.

The many sons of Alan Thicke.
Mike Seaver -- also known as Kirk Cameron -- was Dr. Seaver's TV son and also one of my very first crushes.  (He fell somewhere in between Billy Joel and Jason Priestley.)  Kirk's on-screen antics and apartment-over-the-garage living was the stuff of pre-teen dreams.  Personally, I really wanted Mike to end up with Julie, the nanny, but Kirk's real-life romance with Chelsea Noble, who played Kate, made him end up with her.  Learning this news at age six may have been the first time I experienced celebrity gossip.  Unfortunately, Mr. Cameron only stars in Christian-themed movies now, which don't get a whole lot of play at the Chambers.

Mr. Thicke's next son has definitely had the biggest impact on show business, and my personal life.  In season seven of Growing Pains, Jason and his wife, Maggie, took in foster son, Luke Brower, played to perfection by the one, the only, Leonardo DiCaprio.  And the rest, as they say, is history.  I don't think anymore explanation is needed on this one.

You might that this is all -- I mean, seriously, how much talent could one man's DNA hold? -- but no!  I recently discovered (thank you, Wikipedia) that Mr. Thicke is also the god-father of Comedy Central darling Daniel Tosh, host of Tosh.0 and possibly the funniest person on TV/the internet right now.  For reals, you can look it up.  DDT (Daniel Dwight Tosh) is absolutely hysterical and if you aren't watching him you should start. 

So, thank you Alan, for all you've given us.  Happy Birthday and welcome to the wolfpack.  And remember, we're nowhere near the end, the best is ready to begin...

xo kate

1 comment:

  1. haha love this! I really need to hear you and your partner's rendition of this theme song. I loved that show! Of course I loved Kirk, and Leo, the cutest stray pup EVER to grace television. I didn't know the 6 degrees of Tosh, that's hysterical! I think you need to tweet Tosh and call him out on this information.

    ReplyDelete